Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lucky number 13 and the next poetry project


Well ,we had 13 poets in the community last week and the same number this week, so I think we'll have another go ,till people lose interest.All 13 pieces this week had one thing in common, they were all ,and I genuinely mean this, total rubbish.Only joking :) Woke you up though!They were all brilliant and all so different.I hope you get a chance to roam around all the blogs, I did and really enjoyed it.The biggest buzz for me ,and I never anticipated this, was the realisation that some of these poems might not have come to fruition but for the assignment. I mean that was the vague hope /aim but I didn't realise how good it would feel.I also think that people who were maybe slightly less happy with their efforts last week, (myself included)were more happy with them this week, that's got to be a good thing? Thanks a million to everyone who joined in,I hope you got something out of the exercise and enjoyed the whole shebang as much as I did.It's nice to read a largish block of work comprised of people from all ages and walks of life that hasn't and may never be published in a book.A few slices from a different flavour of pie is refreshing and wholly relevent. I'm also wondering how long blogs will last,if it is forever we are laying down some varied and interesting snapshots for future generations.I would love to know for example what thoughts my grandparents and great grandparents might have had.Imagine if they had kept blogs!Hitory is often written in black and white by life's winners and thats okay but I'd like to hear other shades of history.Truth has a thousand colours not just two. I'm waffling now so on to next weeks assignment.

1) There is NO time limit for the writing.Just post it on your blog next monday and drop a comment into my comments box.I will post links to all the poems/prose on my blog.


2) Take a piece of music,one you love,one that moves you to happiness or tears.One that takes you back,one that takes you away, or roots you to the spot-whatever


3) Find yourself some peace and quiet, lock yourself away if you have to.I know this is probably impossible for some of you,but try if you can.Relax.Take a glass of wine ,a cigarette, chocolate cake, marmite and gherkin sandwich-whatever floats yer boat, winds you down.Listen to the music on headphones cut yourself off.Listen to the music, over and again if necessary, let it put you in a mood and whatever emotions and thoughts it sparks, write them down,Write a poem straight off if possible,if not just a few lines, words ,thoughts-then turn them into a poem/piece of prose/prayer/ death threat/eulogy/rant/rap/shopping list /song/novel. Whatever comes let it flow,don't think about it too much or try too hard,you can always rework it before you post it. Good luck ,comrades, GO FOR IT.Live long and prosper!

Ps Did I tell you Tipp were robbed? Robed blind!

Pps. There is NO TIME LIMIT on this exercise, particularly not a 5 minute one

When i say go for ' IT ', I don't mean go for ' Information Technology.' In fact go for the opposite.

19 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

'Truth has a thousand colours'. There's your next poem right there!
x

Dominic Rivron said...

I'm still up for it, so I'll start thinking...

It's quite breathtaking when you start thinking how long blogs -and the internet as we know it- might be around for. It's very existence could transform future views of history.

Heather said...

I would never have written anything had it not been for your blog - I don't know what made me rash enough to say I'd join in. But I have enjoyed taking part and will have another go for next Monday even if I am getting friendly stick for writing poetry instead of creating textile art!! Love the nine photos in your montage here.

Totalfeckineejit said...

I can sing a raibnbow sing a raiboww..
tanx rachel :)

Totalfeckineejit said...

Good man Dominic, will you be first to post again next week? And yes what a future store of reference

Totalfeckineejit said...

That's what it's all about Heather, and I think the creative urge is singur but comes out in different ways in different people.Sometimes it's nice to try another.Really glad you liked me montage and said so, I was pleased with it!

Heather said...

Will I get you stitching next TFE?!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Do you mean to say that our words will float for ever in cyberspace (my knowledge of all things computer is VERY limited) - if so what happens when the whole of cyberspace gets clogged up with words (yes I know it goes on and on and on but so do some peoples' blogs, you must admit). Shall start thinking about next week's assignment forthwith. Really enjoying it all TFE - thanks.

Batteson.Ind said...

The blog thing is a wierd one... I'd like to think everything written on here lives forever.. but.. well, there's something very temporary about technology, it all seems so fragile, compared to a massive book of paper weighing two stone and bound in leather and kept in a box... one spotty geek with a grudge cuold wipe out years of our lovely thoughts in an instant on here..
Anyway.. can't wait till next week, have done a few posts in the past like this, but always up for an excuse to write and listen to brilliant music at the same time :-D.. cheers!

Totalfeckineejit said...

I'm not allowed objects that might be a danger to myself our others.I'm not even allowed shoe laces or a belt.But if you could smuggle in some knitting needles or a sewing machine........

Totalfeckineejit said...

It would really help with those mailbags!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Yes Watercats, there was that big blogger host site that crashed and thousands of blogs wiped out, can't remember what it was called.Nothing will ever replace the book.Looking forward to your post next monday :)

Dr. Jeanne Iris said...

Lovely idea...looking forward to this one, Mr. TFE, sir.

wv: torme: Wait a minute....wasn't there an old singer named Mel Torme?

SUSAN SONNEN said...

I failed you, Fearless Leader. :( I did not complete this Monday's assignment.

Fear not, Fearless Leader! I am ready for the current assignment! I already have my song picked out! :D

This is a really cool thing that you're doing, by the way.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Don't worry, weaver, a friend reliably informs me that cyberspace has almost 2 GB of memory and 5 pages of foolscap.Good luck with the next assignment, delighto that you are enjoying them.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Hope you have fun Jeanne,I'd say this one would be right up your street.Mel Torme? Mm rings a bell-and sings a song!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Good luck with that Susan,I wonder what the song is? I should have asked people to mention the song after the poem, see if we would have guessed whatbit was.Best wishes FF (i'm more of a fat f***er than a fearless leader)

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow! I am in for his one. Now to find my music!

NanU said...

Hello TFE and Happy Monday to you. I am posting early in the day this time, the end of the day being taken with meetings that will go on way too long.
Looking forward to reading!