Saturday, October 23, 2010

POEMARGENTOMEETINGBUSSTUFF


The Meeting

And death, like life, is a moveable feast
living in the ghetto
drinking from the bottle
swimming to the bottom
let the creme de la creme float
let shit float
let corked bottled
desperation float to the top
that's the now of us
the reality of decay
yesterday
when we met
twas the meeting of the waters
baptism of fire
meeting of minds
union of souls
flesh setting
the foundations
that hold us still
still holds us
pinball life ricochet around us
till we meet again
don't know where
don't know when

The Meeting Of The Waters,Thomas Moore


There is not in the wide world a valley so sweet
As that vale in whose bosom the bright waters meet;
Oh! the last rays of feeling and life must depart,
Ere the bloom of that valley shall fade from my heart.

Yet it was not that nature had shed o`er the scene
Her purest of crystal and brightest of green;
`Twas not her soft magic of streamlet or hill,
Oh! no - it was something more exquisite still.

`Twas that friends, the beloved of my bosom, were near,
Who made every dear scene of enchantment more dear,
And who felt how the best charms of nature improve,
When we see them reflected from looks that we love.

Sweet vale of Avoca! how calm could I rest
in thy bosom of shade, with the friends I love best,
Where the storms that we feel in this cold world should cease,

And our hearts, like thy waters, be mingled in peace.


12 comments:

Enchanted Oak said...

I don't know what to think of your sorrowful poem, Eegit, when you lay it alongside Moore's celebration of beloved friends. I feel sad for the "now of us" that is dead, and I wish I could give you a hug.

Batteson.Ind said...

I liked your one better! (presuming it was the first one)
;-)

Heather said...

Two very different poems but both are thought provoking. My muse seems to have deserted me so I will content myself by reading other people's work.

Karen said...

I wish I had written that first line. I'd love to claim it! Great poem and love its pairing with Moore.

Niamh B said...

let corked bottled
desperation float to the top

pretty powerful line there, and the musical ending is pretty swish

Argent said...

I like the contrasting images in here "let the creme de la creme float/let shit float" The short lines give it a real punch too.

Carolina Linthead said...

"when we met
twas the meeting of the waters"

Great stuff, TFE. And yes, not all that floats is the creme de la creme!

Jinksy said...

As an icurable romantic, I'll stick with the second, thanks, if you don't mind...

Peter Goulding said...

Did you get a job with Wicklow tourism office? Lovely place when the sun's shining.
As usual, a careering helter-skelter of highs and lows. Bravo...

Kat Mortensen said...

You started out with harshness and eased down to a tranquil finish. It was like getting to the bottom of the bottle. (Not that I would know anything about that, of course.)

Kat

Kat Mortensen said...

P.S. I enjoyed the Moore piece too.

Dave King said...

Part of me is with Enchanted Oak on this, and part feels that the two poems spark each other. I've read them a couple of times, now I'm going to leave them for a bit and then come back. An interesting post.