Sunday, December 28, 2008

THE GUTTER AND THE STARS

I headed for bed at 3 O'clock this morning and before I fell into it ,I went outside to put-out the candle in the lantern over the doorway.Nearly polaxed by the cold as it emptied my lungs I gawked up at the sky through the plumes of my own breath .Beautiful doesn't do it justice.The Bull was up on one twinkling hoof ready to charge across at the yoke of the plough, every star, alive or dead ,was present and correct, studded in the blackest of inky skies.In the silence of the hoarfrost I could hear the distant thunder of the sea,or maybe that was just in my head, but I remember thinking/hoping poems are like stars that shine on long after we or they are dead.

(Pretentious? Moi? Surely not?)

4 comments:

Dominic Rivron said...

Pretentious? Nah! Spot on. Can't beat a bit of spontaneity. A few of us here. We've just passed it round to read. It did us all good. Thanks.

Group 8 said...

Poetic, I'd say.

Lulu LaBonne said...

very nice bit of writing there, made me shiver me timbers it did.
BTW is it 10" pizzas that you deliver Mr T?

Totalfeckineejit said...

Thanks to you too Dominic hope you are all having a good time.

Hi WRW thats cool amd i like your new-fangled desk with (gulp)a drawer! It will spur you on to even greater heights.

Talking of height, yes Lulu,(Ahoy there,thanks for popping by, glad you liked da roiting)) at 5ft tall it's 10" pizzas I deliver- mammy drank many bottles of Mackeson and smoked 15 cigars a day through all her pregnancy ;) Actually punctuation was never a strong point!