Friday, December 12, 2008

THIS IS IT!

Ok, the world can live without me or, more specifically ,my writing(the words spoken/written and yet and yet?) The writer or, more specifically ,the poet ,operates in,and broadcasts to, a vacuum and to a certain extent that is good and proper. Poetry is best when created in isolation and reads in isolation.It is, to a certain extent when the poet believes he has a (larger) audience and /or expectation that the precarious house of cards falls to the ground.The ego balloons and the desire to conform, to please, ignites.The vacuum, the void, suits me. I feed off it and it feeds off me, SYMBIOSIS.And yet ,and yet, the needling the subtle craving(can craving be subtle?) the need for recognition the pat on the back, so shallow, so hollow, so-desired. Anyway , listen(ye absent hordes ye) I was trying to define, to coin a phrase, that might explain the creation, the genesis ,of a poem and then I was listening to short story podcasts from The New Yorker and I came across this story by Lorrie Moore 'Dance in America' and she trying to persuade about the importance of dance and describes that 'dance begins when a moment of hurt combines with a moment of boredom' Now if that isn't what I've been trying to say about the genesis of a poem , then I don't know what is. Ps. Perhaps, or indeed, we should count ourselves lucky that we can attempt to write.I wonder what does the rest of the world do when the moments collide?

4 comments:

Liz said...

TFE, fair dues for trying to get to grips with something fairly ungrippable...when I first started blogging, I wrote a wee quote about 'what poetry is...' that I found on the Longford Virtual writer site and it has kept me going...have a wee dander over here and see what you make of it... ; )
http://agcaint.blogspot.com/2006/06/what-is-poem-some-lines-i-love.html#links

...and regarding the two moments colliding, I hold on tight and try not to swallow me tongue ; )

Group 8 said...

Hi Total, Sorry this is nothing to do with poetry and its genesis but I thought this might be of interest to you, and I've no other way to contact you:

AMATEO International Photo Exhibition - seeking submissions

area: Europe-wide

deadline: 9 February 2009

AMATEO, the European Network for Active Participation in Cultural Activities, is organising an international photo exhibition in Ljubljana, Slovenia on 12 March 2009 to mark the opening of the AMATEO office and exhibition premises. The theme of the exhibition is ‘active participation in cultural activities’. Participation is open to citizens of any one of the 47 member states of the Council of Europe and only amateur photographers can submit work.

For more information and an entry form, please email amateo@jskd.si.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Thanks Liz,I'll check out that link.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Thanks a million WRW,thats an interesting one,I'll give it a lash for sure.