Thursday, March 15, 2012

It was the best of times it was the worst, it's all poo and nuts but hope too.

So, the first proofs of me life's work 'Jewel' to be published by the lovely people at Salmon poetry have arrived. This is exciting and terrifying.Exciting because someone is going to put my poems into a real book that will be in bookshops and terrifying because someone is going to put my poems into a real book that will be in bookshops.

I mean when you write the things, you're slamming words together in drunken abandon not giving a flying fuck about anything because nobody's ever going to actually see the bloody things except yourself, the dog, and possibly the wife.It's just like having a poo, nothing much to look at but you're glad you've done it. But now that poo isn't going to be discreetly flushed away, oh no, people (admittedly probably very few , but still) will be looking at my poo and possibly dissecting it to see what's in it or what it means about its creator.A poetic kind of Gillian McKeefe could tell an awful lot from a single stool/poem. I'm laying my nuts on the line here and people might kick them or worse drive a train over them. Now that's going to hurt, big time!

But looking on the brighter side
I'm hoping that someone somewhere might be kind to my poo and find a sweetness in it that they like, Im hoping that maybe at least one single person somewhere will be moved by my movements, that's gotta be good enough?Make it all worthwhile? Right? I'm right? Aren't I?

6 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

The good thing about being published by someone else is that if it does get criticized in a negative way you can just blame your editor for letting it through...
As for the poo metaphor. I'm leaving that alone!
x

Heather said...

Of course you are right, but I can understand that you might feel a bit vulnerable and exposed.
It's a great achievement and your work deserves congratulation and recognition. Good luck.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Poo is best left alone Rachel! Jessie my publisher is amazing, I couldn't blame her for a thing!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Thanks Heather, I need all the luck I can get!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Of course you are right dear, dear TFE - so lovely to have you back and so lovely to find that you have not lost your touch a single bit.
I think the poo metaphor is brilliant - but then, most of your metaphors are a bit rude anyway aren't they? (I am one of life's innocents you know.)

Totalfeckineejit said...

Hello Weaver!It's kinda lovely to be back, specially when nice people say nice things!